We try to normalise different types of families, by watching TV shows that include adoption, or families that could be formed through adoption. When these shows are on, I point it out, often with quite a ramble if it’s not obvious, e.g. “look, he’s got 2 Dads, but you can’t grow in a man’s tummy can you, so maybe he grew in someone else’s tummy like you did and now he’s adopted!”
These are our personal favourites!
– Hey Duggee (Happy the crocodile has an elephant Mum)
– Chip and Potato (Season 3 has gay zebra Dads)
– Dinosaur Train (Buddy is adopted as an egg and doesn’t know much about his history)
– Bug Diaries (2 worm Mums – although science does permit for worm mamas to start a family without any male involvement, I have previously surmised to my children that they might have adopted their children)
– The Ice Princess (a dinosaur is adopted by a bird)
Please do watch before introducing your children to these shows, in case you feel that any of them might be triggering to your child.